Monday, January 9, 2012

Precious Memories

The memory of the righteous is a blessing,

                                                                                          Proverbs 10:7

The hymn Precious Memories was written by J. B. F. Wright. As a child I remember hearing my dad listen to Jim Reeves, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and others sing this song on the record player. While in college, at Lubbock Christian, we gave Dr. K. C. Moser an organ when he retired. As he thanked the students in chapel, he stated that when he got it home, Precious Memories would be the first song he played.


 Memories 

What makes them precious? There are memories that some try to wipe out of their head. Those memories are painful and hurt to remember.  But, precious memories are the ones that we want to hold and keep in our hearts.

Memories of Mrs. Ruby

I attended Mrs. Ruby’s funeral on Saturday. My head and my heart were filled precious memories. As she was eulogized, I learned more about her faith. I had witnessed it when she came to work. Mrs. Ruby was the custodian at Parkway where I had been principal. She was a very important part of the Parkway Family.

Everyday when she arrived she would peek her head in my office and speak. She would compliment me on my ties. She would sometimes have a plate of fresh grown and cooked vegetables from her garden. She and Mr. Stovall were proud of their garden. She would ask if I like greens, and I would tell that I loved them and especially if they were already cooked. She would smile. When we had snacks during the day, I always tried to save something for Mrs. Ruby. She would tell me you are so nice. She was so dedicated to her job and I would get so upset when the boy’s bathroom would like a war zone and she would have to do extra work cleaning it. She didn’t complain. I have some precious memories of Mrs. Ruby!

Mrs. Edwards and Ms. Jaime kept telling me that Mrs. Ruby asked about you. Mrs. Ruby said to tell you hello. Right before Christmas, I posted on Facebook, “Will someone please tell Mrs. Ruby I said hello?” Thank you Ms. Jaime for telling her. See, the last time I saw Mrs. Ruby was as she laid in the casket. My memories are more than that viewing, because of the life she lived. I saw her live and practice the talk she would hear on Sunday’s. She walked the talk. She was kind and generous. She tried to do right, therefore her memory is a blessing to me.

Holy, Righteous, and Eternal Father thank you for the blessings that you give us each day. Thank you for the people you put in our lives. LORD, may we not take them for granted. May we be kind and generous to all – building relationships and memories with them. I pray that we lead a life that is righteous so that the memories we leave may be a blessing to others. Father, help us to be obedient to your Word. Thank you for Jesus Christ, the One that makes it possible for us to have a relationship with you, our God. Amen.

Precious Memories

Precious memories, unseen angels,
Sent from somewhere to my soul.
How they linger ever near me,
And the sacred past unfolds.

Precious memories how they linger,
How they ever flood my soul.
In the stillness of the midnight.
Precious sacred scenes unfold.

In the stillness of the midnight,
Echoes from the past I hear.
Old time singing, gladness ringing,
From that lovely land somewhere.

As I travel on life's pathway,
I know not what the years may hold.
As I ponder hope grows fonder,
Precious memories flood my soul.




1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to what sounds like a beautiful woman of God. I especially appreciate your prayer at the end to which we could all say a hearty "Amen".

    ReplyDelete